Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Miracles.

All of these are true stories of the pioneers who made the miraculous trek in the Willie & Martin handcart companies......

A young father and recent widdower is called to serve a mission and leave his brand new precious baby for 3 years to serve a mission in Asia... Shortly before his return, he is called to serve as a leader of the Willie & Martin handcart company to lead the saints west, delaying his time to see his son....

The next time I feel like I'm struggling to make sacrifices, I will think of his example and strive to sacrifice a little more. And I'll count my blessings...

A mother of two small children finds the missionaries in England and anxiously joins the church against her husbands will. She chooses to heed the Prophets council and travel west with the Saints. Her husband suspects she might leave him and take their children to meet the Saints. He drunkenly threatens to kill her if she decides to leave. Later that night, he passes out because he was so drunk, so this corageous mother wakes her small children in the middle of the night to go to the train station. Early the next morning, they are waiting nervously on the train when she spots her angry husband at the station looking for her.... with a weapon hidden in his coat. She sees him get onto the train trying to search for her, so she faithfully and desperately prays to our Heavenly Father, that she knows is listening to her, for help. She anxiously tries to think of something to do to protect herself when she looks up and sees her husband staring her straight in the eyes....... He looks at her, looks at the children, then continues searching the train for his wife and kids. He miraculously did not recognize his wife and his children....... She was one of the most grateful saints to make the trek.

The next time I'm tempted to let fear become a hinderence to me, I will think of her and will strive to replace my fear with faith. And I'll count my blessings...

Albert Smith, a man in his mid-aged years, is found by the missionaries in England and joyfully joins the church. Albert, a full grown man, was no bigger than a 4 year old child and had a body that limited him to barely being able to walk with crutches. He travels over to be with the saints and wants to make the trek. Despite his physical limitations, he wants to WALK every step of the way, refusing to ride in the carts or be carried by anyone. Even when his tiny, frail body, was telling him he can't, his spirit was telling him, he can! Albert miraculously made it 300 miles across the country before his body could no longer handle it and he passed away, with dozens of others, on the trail to Zion....

The next time I look in the mirror and am tempted to criticize and feel discouraged about my body, I will think of Albert and feel so grateful that I have a 100% functional, healthy body that is capable of doing anything I want it to. And I'll count my blessings....

A widow who lost her husband lies awake one night in the freezing cold, barely clinging onto mortal life, pondering about how she and her 8 children will ever find the food to get them through the rest of their journey. She begins to pray, in faith, to know what to do for her and her family. She suddenly remembers that she packed 2 small bisquits in her bag months ago that she had forgotten about. She gets out of bed and puts the 2 small bisquits in a pot with water and heats them over the fire. She gathers all 8 of her children around and she offers a prayer in faith, asking for a miracle. She knows that the 2 small bisquits won't be enough to feed them all, but she knows that they all must continue on to Zion. She then takes the pot out of the fire and takes off the lid to find the pot overflowing with bread. Which was more than enough to feed her and her 8 children.....

The next time fast Sunday is hard because I feel "hungry," I will think of this miracle. And realize that I don't even know the beginning of hungry and I'll gladly continue my fast. And I'll count my blessings....

The next time my handcart feels heavy. The next time I feel like it's impossible for me to keep pushing my handcart up this huge, steep mountain. The next time my life feels just too hard. I will think of these incredible saints and their unfathomable sacrifice that they made for us. I will put a smile on my face, say a prayer of gratitude, and keep pushing my handcart up that mountain. And I'll count my blessings....

Please, oh please, I beg you to go see the movie "17 Miracles." It's by far the most powerful movie I've ever seen aside from The Testaments and the Joseph Smith movie. Please make it the next movie you see!




"Happy day, all is well....."

xoxo,
Alliecat

1 comment: